Competence Management and Assurance System
"No human being will work hard at anything unless they believe that they are working for competence."
Technical Training in Oil and Gas
Global industries such as the oil and gas industry understand the value of training and do not need to be convinced to conduct training or to train more and spends many millions of dollars annually on training.
7 key aspects of Technical training in Energy and Oil and Gas industries:
- Competencies are more important than qualifications because, when it comes to assigning work, competencies are the only currency.
2. Skilled workers are different from entry-level learners in that, on the whole, they are far more confident learners and effectively take charge of their own learning program if they have such opportunity.
3. Advanced skill learners require training with ‘bite’. This requires thoughtful instructional design where the trainer perceptively judges the degree of challenge (‘bite’) in light of each worker’s capacity to meet the challenge.
- The need for assessment and recognition of competencies. The evidence of workers’ skill and applicable knowledge must effectively meet a legal standard, which requires expert assessment of competencies.
5. The role of time in learning needs re-thinking. Extended and repeated experience appears to be a critical element in acquiring advanced skill.
6. Experiential learning to master leading-edge skill requires the learner to work alongside an expert.
7. Enterprises ought to conceptualise the workplace as a learning environment as well as the site where products/services are created.
“Training skilled workers: Lessons from the oil and gas industry”.
Extract from J.Figgis and A.Standen. Australia. 2005
Why Competence Assurance for Oil & Gas
Competency is a mix of:
- Knowledge to perform a task.
- Skills to complete a task.
- Work ethics and personal attributes, such as attitude, when completing a task.
TECEDU can help your organization in both attaining and maintaining a competent workforce through:
- Competence Management and Assurance Programme Development.
- Train the Assessor Program.
- Train the Mentor Program.
- Supply of Workplace Assessors.
Competence Management and Assurance Programme (CMAS) Development
TECEDU builds a competence assurance programme specific to the requirements of the client. We first do a task analysis and then develop a roadmap for each designated job function based on procedural and non-procedural competencies. The Competence Management and Assurance Programme standardises the necessary competencies required for an individual to complete a specific role within your organisation.
The Competence Management and Assurance Programme will provide you with a the framework for design and implementation of your organisation’s training and development programme.
Competence Gap Analysis
TECEDU applies a number of methods to determine the knowledge and/or skills gaps for individuals or groups within your organisation.
Development of a training programme based on gap analysis leads to effective use of your training budget and a motivated workforce where the benefits of their newly learned knowledge and skills can be immediately applied.
This approach can be used for new employees who require training in the core skills or for experienced employees who need few additional courses for further career or technological advancement.
TECEDU develops all training programmes based on gap analysis. Gaps in knowledge or skills have learning objectives, or competencies, assigned to them.
The content of our programmes is developed with very clear learning objectives (behavioural) in order to assure the gap closure and, ultimately, lead to a more competent and motivated workforce in your company.
Competence assurance applies both to individuals that are new to the job and to those that have been completing the task for a number of years. In TECEDU we have resources to assess your personnel in their normal workplace environment to ensure that, when completing assigned duties, they have, and are using, the necessary underpinning knowledge and skills required by your company.
Each and every person within your organisation has associated roles and responsibilities. It is only through a competent workforce that the goals of your organisation can be achieved.
Train the Assessor Programme
TECEDU provides client employees with the required knowledge, skills and tools, through its Train the Assessor Program, so as to empower them to become workplace assessors. Having your own in-house assessors is advantageous as they are the ones most familiar with the normal work environment, policies and procedures. The assurance of an individual's competency is most readily determined in their own normal workplace; the assessment occurs in ‘real time' therefore minimising the cost and disruption to your organisation.
Train the Mentor Programme
TECEDU provides employees from your organisation with the required knowledge, skills and tools, through our Train the Mentor Programme, to become effective workplace mentors thereby maximising the benefits of your on-the-job training programmes. Key areas addressed in this programme include adult learning, mentoring techniques, effective communication, gap analysis and reporting.
Supply of Workplace Assessors
TECEDU provides workplace assessors as part of our manpower services commitment to your organisation. Many of our staff are multi-disciplined and are able to complete workplace assessment in addition to other services such as on-the-job mentoring or training instruction.
All TECEDU technical programmes will be delivered at our client’s location by combining various training methods such as Classroom training, Simulation training, Workshop exercises or On-the-job training.
All our instructors are highly qualified professionals with direct experience in international projects in petroleum and power generating business.
In order to guarantee the best quality and efficiency of our technical training programmes we offer them in form of a long-term contractual agreements so that we can deliver them as your in-house turn-key training solution for Technical and HSE skills development. In this case all our programmes will be adapted to your requirements.
Long-term technical training programmes for technicians and operators can be certified/endorsed by a professional certification bodies such as OPITO or City and Guilds what will make them internationally recognised.
Additionally to our training delivery offer TECEDU can help you build a technical competency assurance programme specific to your project requirements.
We will do a task analysis and then develop a roadmap for each designated job function based on procedural and non-procedural competencies. The Competency Assurance Programme will standardise the necessary competencies required for an individual to complete a specific role within your organisation.
The Competency Assurance Programme will provide you with a the framework for design and implementation of your organisation’s training and development programme.