Target audience for Vendor training
Primary target audience for vendor training is Operations and Maintenance team, the site representatives and the commissioning group.
General principles and objectives of vendor training process
To ensure that employees are trained in safe working practices for their work to prevent harm to themselves, other people, damage to equipment or adverse effects on the environment the effective system of vendor training during commissioning phase should be implemented.
TECEDU can help you to identify when and where individual and group vendor training will take place and the steps that need to be taken to make sure the vendor training is aligned with the overall training plan including the Competence Assurance Scheme, the commissioning and start up requirements.
In cases when vendor training needs to be taken during commissioning phase TECEDU can provide training agendas to review and use. The agendas will list, among the other things, the areas of particular concern to the client that should be covered in the training.
Types of vendor training
It is necessary for the Company to arrange a number of vendor training courses for the various operational systems in order to develop an understanding of the operating and maintenance philosophies and to improve technical skills. There are three types of vendor training:
- Dedicated training course at the vendors training facility
- Dedicated training course at a client’s location including fabrication yard
- On-job-training on site
The vendor training should be designed to provide the attendees with practical insights into all or a selection of the following:
- operational and maintenance techniques;
- historical problems;
- operations and maintenance start-up and shutdown procedures;
- planned, preventive and predictive maintenance.
The training should will be designed at advanced level for operations and maintenance personnel.
Vendor training duration
The timing of the individual courses is important for a number of reasons; it must fit in with the commissioning & start-up schedules; it must not be conducted too early as personnel may forget information or loose skills.
Once selected the personnel must be available to attend the course full time and with no interruptions. The location of the vendor training will depend on the course
The duration of each vendor-training course will vary from 1 to 10 days depending on the complexity of the system package. The duration of each course will be decided after the objectives, level and target audience have been determined.
Formal requirements for vendor training instructor
For the designated specialist vendor courses, the instructor will have a minimum of 5 years training experience on the applied equipment/systems.
The training materials for each course will be customised for client’s needs and there will be sufficient copies for each attendee, plus 1 copy for the library and one each for the satellite training centres.
Development of training aids
The main contractor involved in the construction of the facilities is normally responsible for the delivery of a complete site-specific training programme in operations and maintenance subjects.
The vendors that supply specialist equipment and systems should be requested to provide training material to support the classroom and/or on-job-training. In addition the vendors may be requested to quote on the provision of specific equipment that can be used for training.
TECEDU vendor training services include:
- Job descriptions
- Job profiles
- Specifying Required Levels of Performance
- Preparation of Training manuals
- Updating of training manuals / materials
- Identify Equipment for O&M training
- Supply of equipment for O&M training
- Classroom training delivery
- On-job-training, coaching and mentoring
- Development of Competence Assurance Programme
- Competence Assurance and Assessment Services
Benefits for vendors of equipment
- Expertise in training: Training will be delivered faster and with better quality.
- Concentration on core process: Release your time to strengthen Core business process
- Risk-sharing: Shift training responsibilities to specialized training provider. Focus on sales.
- Reduce operational costs: No need to hire in-house experts in training. Minimize your recruitment and operational costs to a great extent.
Why vendor training?
- In order to ensure the that equipment functions well, both equipment users and the equipment maintenance and repair team must be trained.
- Users must be trained in basic care and maintenance of equipment, and the equipment team must be trained to undertake repairs and more complex maintenance tasks.